The agreement provided for the creation of an autonomous region of 13 provinces and the cities of Mindanao and Palawan- then new: Basilan, Davao del Sur, Lanao del Norte, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, North Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sulu, Tawi-tawi, Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur – all in Mindanao – and Palawan and its interior towns. When the popular power overthrew Marcos` dictatorship in February 1986, the administration of Aquino, which took power – the government of President Benigno Simeon Aquino III`s mother, Corazon – revived peace talks with the MNLF. “The Tripoli agreement was a success. We had peace. We stopped fighting with the MNLF. But it was ignored in 1986, so that some of the agreements reached in the Tripoli agreement were not implemented. He went on the track,” Marcos said at a press conference Saturday afternoon at the Park Inn Hotel. So we had already started (successfully). It wasn`t over. We had a semblance of peace. We had a structure that could have brought us peace. But again, as I said, it was ignored when the change of government came in 1986 and the fighting resumed,” said Senator Marcos.
Under President Ramos, on 2 September 1996, in Malacanang, the final peace agreement between Misuari and the chairman of the government peace committee Manuel Yan, a retired ambassador who had retired as a general, was signed. The 2001 Tripoli Agreement cited the 1997 ceasefire agreement the 1976 Tripoli Agreement and the 1996 Jakarta Agreement between the Philippine government and the MNLF, as well as an OIC resolution calling on the government and MILF to “immediately end armed hostilities and continue peace talks to find a peaceful solution to the problem in Mindanao.” The 1976 Tripoli Agreement is considered a “mother convention” on the autonomy of the Moro people, as it was the first time that autonomy was granted to a revolutionary group fighting for independence, over parts of Mindanao and Palawan that once took place under the sultanates of Sulu and Maguindanao and Lanao del Surs Pat in Pangampong. The Arroyo administration, by the president of the peace body, Jesus Dureza, and the president of the peace body of the 15th century, Al Haj Murad Ebrahim (now president of MILF), signed their “peace agreement” on 22 June 2001 in Tripoli, Libya. Then the Minister of Defence Juan Ponce Enrile, held out of the loop by Ms. Marcos and her undersecretary of state on the visit to Tripoli and who saw a copy of the Tripoli agreement only after it was signed, described the peace pact in his book “Juan Ponce Enrile: A memoir” published in 2012 as an “illegal and unconstitutional act… a shameless and abominable surrender…. Unforgivable and unforgivable balances… an act of treachery and betrayal. It was during Ms. Marcos` visit in November 1976 that the agenda for peace talks was established in December 1976.
Talks resumed shortly, but found no peace. It was also under Ramos when the peace talks with the MILF, at that time a larger force than the MNLF, began. Ramos sent his executive secretary, Ruben Torres, on 2 August 1996 to Cagayan de Oro with the ghazaali Jaafar vice-president in charge of political affairs. Marcos` son and namesake said the peace agreement with the MNLF under the auspices of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and the Libyan head of state was “a success.” The Arroyo administration also signed a peace agreement with the MILF – the Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain (MOA-AD) – but its formal signature on August 5, 2008, was overturned after the Supreme Court passed an injunction that barred the government peace panel from signing the document.
Categorised in: Uncategorized
This post was written by ammoore